Kym Kovan wrote:
> Yes, and that lends me to the thought that the best scenario for our
> particular problem would be to have an exported copy on each production
> box (yes, they are clustered) and use a standard diff tool from there to
> flip the changes over to the actual production site.

I can not imagine any scenario where diff / patch / merge ever is the
best way to deploy production code. Because what you would do with diff
/ patch / merge is either an svn export of tag X to some temporary
location and then make your production location equal to the temporary
location, or you do something more complex where you do an actual merge
and choose to apply some changesets and not others.

In the first case, you should just do an svn export followed by a
filesystem move. Not only is that much easier, in most modern
filesystems a move is an atomic operation so it is much safer. (Or just
point your mapping/webroot to the new version you exported. Talk about
an easy rollback scenario :)

The second case is something you just shouldn't do. Because what you are
really saying is "compare version A and B and apply the changes to
version C". That means that the final outcome of the process depends on
what is in position on the final location already and if some file got
corrupted in that power failure three months ago, it will still be
corrupted after the new release. In that scenario it is an absolute
nightmare to guarantee that what you tested in QA is the same as what
you deployed in production.

If you deploy code in production you always want it to be an unchanged
export of some unique svn URL (preferably a tag). Even a checkout with
all the extra files is better then a local merge.

Jochem