From: denstar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 12 August 2008 10:35 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: SVN in Production

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Andrew Scott wrote:
> Kym,
>
> Think of an Application has being something that more than one client
could
> have. Then think about their requirements, and how it might differ to
> another client.

I'm not sure if I should go into it, but-- You're doing it wrong. :)

The scenarios you outline are common problems, and are actually some
of the reasons source control is, where it is today.

Check out svn:externals (you can "pin" these external revisions, which
can be a key factor!), and *really* do yourself a favor, and learn
about branches, and merging, and how SVN revisions and whatnot.

Then sit down, and figure out a tagging strategy, as well as the
lifecycle that fits your application, etc.(maybe not in that order;]),
and get that stuff documented (and under version control! =]).  Make
sure you come up with a plan that addresses the issues you haven't
addressed yet-- the issues which you blame on version control, but
that are actually related to how you are doing things.

You'll be in high spirits after that, man!  You'll know, that even if
a truck just plain takes you out at some random moment, your team will
still be O.K. without you.

Force be with you mate!
  den

--
For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories.
Plato