From: denstar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 12 August 2008 2:29 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: SVN in Production

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Andrew Scott wrote:
> You have my curiosity now...
>
> Explain to me how, SVN automation is going to know that I have 4 changes
and
> only 3 of these are going to need to go to production.

Kym pretty much explained what I was getting at, changing your style.

There's a saying, "commit early, commit often'.  Some systems make
certain aspects easier-- Git is great for open open source, for
instance, while SVN is better for a more centralized approach.  At
least that's my current take on it.  :-)

My point being, there are various ways to tackle problems, depending
on the goals and parameters and whatnot.

And that tools are WICKED COOL, plain and simple.  All tools, really.
I'm a sucker for stuff that builds stuff.  :-)

> Not that it is going to change for me, I need to log into a VPN and then
map
> to the harddrive anyway. So this approach WILL not work for me, in our
> current line of clients.

Ah.  I've been really happy with rsync.  You can do it over SSH
(there's a java server, if you're on windows), and if you're really
worried about leaving ports open or something, you could rock some
"port knocking", which keeps 'em closed unless you use the "secret
knock".  That, layered with some locked-down permissions and whatnot,
is pretty pimp.  Mmmm mmm good!

Or at least it sounds like fun to set up. ;]

Anyways, I shouldn't have implied (heh) that "you're doing it wrong",
as perhaps you're doing the best for your environment, you know?  It's
pretty easy to make assumptions about things based on what information
we have-- hell, it's what we do.

--
For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories.
Plato