This is one of those things no one can really answer but you.  I can make
suggestions, but other people on this list can probably make better ones.

Assuming you are 32 bit, your maximum heap size you can allocate to each JVM
is 1.8 Gigs.

Factors you need to take into consideration are:  What else is running that
server?  The operating system will need some memory.  Is that server
dedicated to CF or are there a mail server, and a SQL server on it as well?
How much memory does your CF application use at peak load times?

Also, you need to decide what you want to get out of clustering.  The topic
of this thread says "failover", so I'll assume redundancy in on your docket.
For the record, keep in mind that multiple instances on the same physical
server will not help in the event of hardware failure, network failure,
power failure, OS failure, Web server crashes (IIS, Apache), or Database
Failure.

This is totally my opinion based on some assumptions, and anyone else is
very welcome to dissent, but if you have an average CF app on a dedicated CF
box, I would probably start out with a simple cluster of two instances.
Give them both 1 Gig min and max heap size and see how that treats you.  Set
it up as regular (non-weighted) round robin, and enable sticky sessions.

Then run some tests.  Start putting some load on your app and watch your
memory usage to see what it is doing.  Then shut down an instance and see
how well it is handled.

There is an ideal set up for you, but I don't know of any magic formula to
find it without testing and experimentation.

Here's a recent article by Mike Brunt on the topic.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/coldfusion/articles/clustering_cf8.html

~Brad