Scott,

though I don't think this is the case with the CF ajax stuff but I
know that when we used prototype and jquery together the use of the $
sign conflicted. jQuery has a great function you can run that changes
that to anything. it is called noConflict()

var $j = jQuery.noConflict();

that then allows you to do $j("#id")  instead of just $(

As far as the plugins is this happening on all plugins? Remember that
jQuery the core is fairly well tested and that the plugins are written
in javascript and may have IE bugs in them nonetheless.

J.J.