> > I have installed CF8 as a standalone server running it's own
> webserver on a diffrent port 8501. My next
> > task is to individually connect IIS site definitions to CF 8 as
> needed which I assumen can be acheived
> > by simply changing the application extensions associated with CF 6.1
> to the CF8 install directory.
>
> Well, not exactly. By default, CF 6.x and CF 8 use a combination of
> ISAPI filters and wildcard extensions; it's not as simple as changing
> file extension mappings. However, assuming that you want to have CF 6
> work with one IIS virtual server and CF 8 work with another, you can
> certainly do that. Just run the web server configuration utility for
> each, and map it to one IIS virtual server. You might find it useful
> to turn off CF 8 while you're setting IIS up with CF 6, and vice
> versa.
>
> > I have to say the Adobe documentation could be more clear on the
> differences between standalone
> > and multiserver which I do not really understand.. but here is my
> stab at it..
> >
> > Can I assume that you use multiserver when you want multiple
> instances of CF running on the same
> > instance of JRUN ? So my next question is why use this setup ?
>
> There are lots of reasons why you might want to run multiple
> instances
> of CF. Here are a couple:
>
> 1. You can run different versions of CF simultaneously.
This is what I am trying to do ! but this is where I had the installation
issues that started this thread..

I still am uneasy about not being able to get the multiserver setup to occur,
maybe I am basically thick ! I get the impression that multiserver has be setup
in advance that is the initial CF installation must be installed as multiserver

> 2. You can map different CF instances to different applications or
> virtual web servers, providing isolation so that if one fails the
> others keep running.
> 3. You can work around the memory allocation limitations of 32-bit
> JVMs to more efficiently use the physical memory on your servers.
> 4. You can cluster multiple instances to provide failover within a
> single physical server.
> 5. You can build applications for deployment as EAR files, which is a
> nice Java standard for web applications.
>
> Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
> http://www.figleaf.com/
>
> Fig Leaf Software provides the highest caliber vendor-authorized
> instruction at our training centers in Washington DC, Atlanta,
> Chicago, Baltimore, Northern Virginia, or on-site at your location.
> Visit http://training.figleaf.com/ for more
information!