This may seem obvious to some....

But Windows 2003 (32bit or 64bit), if 64bit are you using the 64bit version?
These are known issues when trying to install a 32bit version onto the 64bot
O/S

Apart from that not 100% sure with plex, but there were some questions asked
in another group about plex and Coldfusion 8. But first check that Windows
is either 32/64 and grab the right version.

I am assuming that you are running in 32bit for Windows 2003, but it needs
to be asked. Also make sure you grab ColdFusion 8.01 for 64bit if you need
to download it.

You say you have cfmx6.1 so it sounds like it is an issue that was described
awhile ago about getting it to run with plex, which really sounds like the
issue. But I have seen the connector problem time and time again, when
people try to install 32bit version onto a 64bit OS. It won't happen;-( well
not with CF anyway.

Lets us know what OS version (number of biys for OS), what version of plex
and ColdFusion etc.