I don't know if this is easier or not... but it is what I've done when
worried about 'brown' data.

When a user views a data set for editing, keep of a copy of the data as
they received it, probably in a session variable.  Then when they submit
changes to this data, compare the 'original state' to the current state
of the same data in the database.  If the data in the database is
different then this 'original state' then you know it has been changed
and the user needs to be informed for appropriate action.

Seems to be more straight forward and direct to me then trying to keep
application and session 'change' state variables in sync.