Okay, never mind.  I was reading the Version 6 docs here (first one that
came up on a Google search for me):

http://www.adobe.com/livedocs/coldfusion/6/CFML_Reference/Tags-pt165.htm

but the version 7 and 8 docs clearly state that it's milliseconds.
Explains a lot.

http://www.adobe.com/livedocs/coldfusion/7/htmldocs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=ColdFusion_Documentation&file=part_cfm.htm

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/Tags_j-l_03.html

Dan