From: Doug Boude (rhymes with 'loud')
Sent: 12 October 2008 22:20
To: cf-talk
Subject: How does Security affect search engine spiders?

Hi all. I am curious if anybody knows how securing a site affects a search
engine spider's ability to crawl it. For instance, if I have my entire site
secured by means of authentication so that any page request is redirected to
the login page if the appropriate security creds are not present in session,
do spiders receive the same treatment? Are they also prohibited by my
security from crawling any page except the login page? If this is true, what
can I do to allow spiders to have access to crawl content but still apply
security to regular "human" visitors? My only thought on that is to detect
the fact that they are a spider (not sure how to do that though) and not
implement security in that case.

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts. Feel free to email them to me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Doug  :0)