@ Ryan,

Then query your admin datasource only once, onApplicationStart, and load the
data you need into your application scope, either as a query or a struct or
whatever makes sense for the data.

application.adminSettings = myAdminDatasourceQuery;

That way, you're getting direct data from your core admin app, but still not
having to 'cross' DBs on every single request.