Interesting...
I thought the same thing until I ran these tests. I analyzed the results
with ColdFusion debugging output, the Server Monitor in CF8 Ent, SeeFusion,
and watched them execute through SQL Profiler, all of them showed better
execution times when I removed the CFQUERYPARAMs. Now, this was on a limited
subset of my queries. I would still argue that using it is far better than
not. Most of the Queries I have used it in I did see a performance
improvement in.

=]