We currently have a CFMX7 application that uses Jakarta POI HSSF to create
excel spreadsheets from a query.  We initially chose POI because we wanted a
higher degree of control over cell formatting (currency, date, etc) than what
we could get in CFReport.  The problem is that POI is eating memory.  A two
thousand row 24 column spreadsheet which saves out at 771kb takes over 120mb of
memory during creation and is bringing our server down when we get multiple
requests.

We were looking for alternatives to POI.  I found JExcel but I couldn't find
any data to see if it was better on memory usage than POI.  I suspect it won't
be but....   I am also contemplating creating XML spreadsheets which I can send
to the user zipped to compensate for the bigger size.  I've done that before
but I just would prefer the user to get an xls workbook rather than an xml one.

Anyone have any experience with JExcel and how it compares to POI HSSF?  Or
another alternative I hadn't considered?

Thanks!