> Your POI code could be optimized for memory usage. POI has problems
> with memory leaks, but these problems are fixable with
> experimentation. String handling is a place to look for optimization.
> In my experience, a suboptimal arrangement of the POI code could be
> the difference between creating a file in less than a second and
> crashing the entire server.

Can you give me some insight into what to look for with string handling and
optimal POI code arrangements?  We haven't done that much in this area and
I'd like the benefit of your experience.

I am leaning heavily towards the XML solution.  I use stored procedures in
Oracle to make queries.  I'm pretty sure I can create the XML and zip it up
(to reduce size) inside the stored proc then send it back to the web server
as a blob for user delivery.  This way I can get all the heavy lifting off
the web server.

I did search the archives but what I found led me back to POI or xml since I
want cell formatting control  I did find a thread which indicated COM
objects were slower than POI.

I'll also take a look at using OOXML as suggested on Arehart -- hadn't
considered that.

Thanks!