Using a function to output isn't really the done thing in CF. Use
either a custom tag, module include or plain cfinclude to modularise
your output logic. If the function performs some action on a string
and you want it output, you should do something like:

<cffunction name="myFunction"...>
  <cfreturn "String that has been modified... or something" />
</cffunction>

<cfform...>
<cfoutput>#myFunction()#</cfoutput>
</cfform>