The 1.6 JVM breaks the SSL for the internal JRun Webserver, which we
use for administration. As an aside, if anyone can tell us how to make
JWS with SSL work with Java 6 we'd be very happy. Regardless, I
actually did try going back to the default CF8.01 JVM with the same
results.

For completeness, I downloaded a fresh copy of the 1.5_13 JVM (as was
just installed on the new SLES box) and pointed jrun at that - with
the same results.

The first time the tag is called this is the result:

java.lang.NullPointerException at
java.util.Properties$LineReader.readLine(Properties.java:365) at
java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:293) at
com.sun.syndication.io.impl.PropertiesLoader.<init>(PropertiesLoader.java:67)
at
com.sun.syndication.io.impl.PropertiesLoader.<clinit>(PropertiesLoader.java:33)
at com.sun.syndication.io.impl.DateParser.<clinit>(DateParser.java:44)
at coldfusion.syndication.FeedDateParser.<init>(FeedDateParser.java:29)
at coldfusion.syndication.FeedDateParser.<clinit>(FeedDateParser.java:20)
at ... etc

and after that the ClassDefNotFound error occurs. So it seems that the
com.sun.syndication.io.impl.PropertiesLoader can't read its properties
for some reason and this causes the rest of the issues.

mxAjax / CFAjax docs and other useful articles:
http://www.bifrost.com.au/blog/