Right, I have the solution.

We have sandboxing turned on; while just about everything works as you
would expect without it, it appears that for some functionality
(including cffeed) the path to [coldfusion
instance]/WEB-INF/cfusion/lib needs to be added to the sandbox. After
adding the permissions I had to restart too (to re-create the classes
for the relevant pages, no doubt); just clearing the template cache
didn't do the job. With this, the problem is fixed.

mxAjax / CFAjax docs and other useful articles:
http://www.bifrost.com.au/blog/