I finally found the cause of this issue. It wasn't the JRun internal
webserver - it was a session cookie being set by our portal servers.
The portal server cookie is set domain wide and even though it has a
string prepended to "JSESSIONID" in its name it seems that
occasionally JRun is getting confused by it. I've confirmed this by
deleting the portal cookie; the CF cluster returns to normal operation
immediately after this.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

mxAjax / CFAjax docs and other useful articles:
http://www.bifrost.com.au/blog/