> I'm just starting with Flex and I'm totally
> discombobulated.  I've been doing ColdFusion for about
> 10 years, using Homesite, then CF Studio, and now
> Dreamweaver to develop stuff on remote servers (I work
> from home).  Now I'm trying to get started with Flex and
> I'm completely confused as to how you can develop
> stuff remotely.  Is it just not possible?  Do you develop
> it locally and then just move the swf file to the server?

You don't generally do "remote" development. You're compiling an
application, and you do that on your local workstation. You then copy
the SWF to the server.

> What about the remote data connection? How do I
> connect to my CFCs on the remote server?

You invoke them as web services using WebService, or you invoke them
through Flash Remoting using RemoteObject. WebService and RemoteObject
are Flex components.

> How am I supposed to compile stuff if my local
> computer is not a web server?

You don't need a web server to compile your SWF. You may want to
install a web server and CF to run your CFCs for development and
testing, but it's not required.

> The SDK install instructions say:
>
> Ensure that the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is
> installed on the computer and that the java_home/bin
> directory is defined in the system path. JRE 1.4,
> 1.5, or 1.6 is required. For 1.4, JRE 1.4.2_06 or later is
> required.
>
> How would I even find out if JRE is running on my
> laptop?

How do you find out if a program is installed, generally?

You can check for environment variables in Windows by
typing "set" at a command prompt.

> I'm just.lost.  Can y'all pretend I am a total idiot &
> explain this to me with very small words, pretty please?

Honestly, if you're this lost, I'd strongly recommend that you either
buy a Flex book or take a course. Since I'm a Flex instructor, I may
be a bit biased in favor of the latter, but it seems to me that you
may need more answers than a mailing list will likely provide.
Speaking of mailing lists, you may want to join some Flex lists, like
the cf-flex list here or flexcod...@yahoo.com.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

Visit http://training.figleaf.com/ for more inform