I think things like faster cfmail are good to have in a shared hosting
environment.  There you end up with a lot of small or perhaps medium sized
applications where each does a decent amount of email that cfmail is more
than capable of handling.  It all ends up adding up on the server itself
though which is where the added performance would help out.  Same logic
could be applied to the other features that see a boost in performance with
the Enterprise.  Now if it all equals out to a better buy than just buying a
few copies of professional that I do not know.  I also do not know how the
licensing works and if you can just get one copy of Enterprise and put it on
one big box and run many instances of that copy of Enterprise on there, if
so then that would be another possible reason to get it over multiple copies
of Pro.  So while 99% of the sites individually may not benefit by
themselves, a lot perhaps could if all in the same shared hosted
environment.
With all that said we run enterprise because of Oracle and honestly the cost
of enterprise for this company is like a drop in the old bucket or perhaps
even swimming pool.