This is an interesting thread, I've seen what I believe to be very similar
behaviour here on one of my webservices, seemed that one particular query
sometimes just hangs indefinitly, however other threads and requests are all
just fine.

I tried playing around with application request timeouts, concurrent threads
and cfquery timeout settings but seem to still have the same problem on
occasion, I'm wondering if they're caused by the same issue, I too running
SQL2k5 however I'm on CF8.

Mark, I'd concur that its waiting to establish a connection, is there anything
which can be done to cure that problem with a timeout on the connection? I'd
imagine mine is down to load as its a busy statistical database which we're
having problems with which really needs moving to a beefier box but in the mean
time it'd be nice to try and find a quick-fix to tide me over.

Rob