Hi Bob,
Check here for a list of the available options and their corresponding data
types for some major SQL providers (for some reason MySQL isn't there):
http://www.cfquickdocs.com/cf8/#cfqueryparam.

As for your question, generally using cfqueryparam is recommended for any
value that could be provided by the user. The main purpose is to eliminate
SQL injection attacks by binding the parameters and preventing the use of
SQL commands within the values (see http://xkcd.com/327/ for a fun example).
it also provides some level of optimization.

Personnally I've taken the habit of putting it pretty much for all my
dynamic values in my queries. It just helps me sleep better at night.

hth

Francois Levesque
http://blog.critical-web.com/