I've always been curious as to how cfqueryparam works. Does anyone know if
it just performs some scanning and filtering on the actual values of the
parameters passed to it or whether it somehow signals to the RDBMS that the
values are parameters to the query thereby treating an SQLI attack as an
escaped string or something?

cfqueryparam errors when you try to use it outside a cfquery tag, which
limits some of the stuff you can do with it. ( Like using cfsavecontent to
have various cffunctions append SQL to a query and then popping that
variable inside of a cfquery tag ).

Is there some other way to leverage the parameterized safety of
cfqueryparam? Can you do it using pure SQL? The database driver? Any ideas
on how I could provide the same security outside of cfquery tags?