> i saw someone discussing the need for file permissions on files that write to
> the file
> system, but do not understand this subject well enough to know what to do
>
> we have a lot of files in one of our applications that write xml and MS Excel
> spreadsheets
> and know that we need to set file permissions but dont understand the
> following:
>
> 1) what permissions do we need to set on these
> 2) do we need to set a password on these files
> 3) if so will the application still run, or do we need to set something up
> that will allow the
> system to access them

Without knowing what you're trying to accomplish, it's difficult to
answer this question.

> we also have some folders that contain sensitive zip files etc... so how can
> we set a
> password on these and how will the system interact with them if a password is
> set on the
> folder?

If you're using IIS, you can set permissions on files and folders, and
browser users will then need to provide a valid set of credentials
that match those permissions. If you're using Apache, you could do
something similar with .htaccess files rather than permissions. If you
want to handle permissions through CF rather than through your web
server, you'll need to serve the files using CFCONTENT rather than
letting people get them through the web server directly.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/