Yes he is sure. And he is correct. With a prepared statement, an array
of values is sent to the db along with a query string that looks like
"SELECT * FROM fu WHERE bar = ?". In preparing the statement, each
value has to be added to the array using a type specific method (in
java). Therefore CF is pretty much forced to validate them at this
point.

Dominic