A few ideas:
1.  Set the ftp security to only allow
connections from specific IP addresses.  If the
user has a dynamic ip, then use his entire
range.. better than letting the entire world in
2. Your blog shows why I said to Michael to
reformat the drive and reinstall everything when
he was attacked. Once you let someone else get
access to your server, there is no way you can
ever trust it again. It has to be reformatted.
  3. I know it isn't the right way to fight an
attack, but for this specific attack, just
put  your index.cfm file into a different file,
then have your index.cfm file just do a
cflocation to that page.  If the hack adds stuff
to the index.cfm page, nothing will happen to the users.