Can someone explain why the "Session is invalid null" occurs?

We have a site on a dedicated server running CF 8 (8,0,1,195765) Standard
edition. It gets around 11,000 users a day and for the most part is issue free.

I've searched HoF etc., I've read the tech notes and I've subsequently altered
the session-timeout value in the web.xml config file so the timeout is larger
than the session timeout in the CF admin settings. Altering the session-timeout
value has *definitely reduced* this error occurring but it hasn't fixed the
problem and my gut instinct is that by altering the session-timeout value I'm
just hiding the problem rather than dealing with it.

Prior to altering the value, the error was happening around 60 or 70 times a
day, altering the value has reduced this error to a couple of times a day. I
suspect increasing the session-timeout value to an even larger number will
eradicate the problem but because I don’t understand the mechanics of why
it's happening in the first place, this solution just doesn't feel right.

Also, J2EE sessions are enabled and I see the jsessionid in the headers of
requests but I still see CFID and CFTOKEN values too. I may have got this wrong
but I thought that the jsessionid negated the need for CFID and CFTOKEN?

Any explanations as to exactly how the session cookies work and why the session
null error happens in the first place are gratefully received!

Paul