You don't say what DB it is, but I'd start by running a request
profiler against it. See if the slowdown is on the DB side or the CF
side. I'd also take a look at your logging. If the log files on
production are filling up the disc, then additional logging to rows
with text fields may be swapping a lot in and out of disc due to the
larger amount of data being looked at. On a non-production box with
adequate free disc space you wouldn't see that slow down.

The suddenness of the changes in server behavior with no code changes
tells me that you should look at resource issues that change on their
own, like free disc space. I recently had a db that was set up by
someone else and they used the MSSQL defaults, which have no limit to
log file growth. It was fine until it wasn't. Then it really sucked.

Hope that helps,
Judah