Dave and Brad,

Thanks a bunch for your attention to this matter.

I finally got to speak with the author of the web service and he told me that
the web service is expecting "a web connection with cookie and session ID on
the client side."

I see Brad noted that a cookie could be part of the problem so I can use the
cfhttpparam as he suggests.

I'm not sure about the sessionID but I'll try to figure something out.  I guess
that when CF calls the page from CFHTTP the cookie and session ID are not
established (provided) whereas when viewed through a browser it is.

I'll still follow up with the suggestion regarding Fiddler and constructing the
request.  I use Fiddler for other things but never used it to construct
requests as you suggest.

Regards, Jerry