Not refusing but either not closing the connection or keeping it open longer
than it should.
Normally, the CF server generates some content and sends it as a whole to
the webserver to be delivered. Once the data is handed off, the CF thread is
dead. In this case, a timeout will kill the thread and nothing generated
will go to the webserver.
Now a cfflush takes some (but not all) of the content generated as a result
of a thread and gives it to the webserver to deliver. The webserver is
'told' that more is coming till all of it is done. The webserver gives the
data that it has already and delivers it with a 'promise' to the client that
more will come. When CF finishes the data it has for the request, the client
sends it and then closes the connection. If the client is slow in getting
the information, the webserver will keep the connection open and send data
down it until all of it is sent.
Now lets speculate that as long as the webserver still has content for the
client, the connection to CF is kept open as well. CF has finished sending
data to the webserver and the thread should close but it's kept open until
the webserver closes it.
I know this sounds strange, but it looks very much like what's going on.
I'll let you know what else I find.