Thanks a lot Andy. I knew there were different frameworks out there but
wasn't sure how that fit in with AJAX. I assume they are all AJAX but
much like .NET they all have different built in functions etc?

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Matthews [mailto:li...@commadelimited.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:26 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: AJAX

I'd avoid a book on "AJAX" and instead pick a book focusing on a
specific
JavaScript framework such as jQuery, or ExtJS. If you just want AJAX
then it
might be worth it to write your own code, but if you're wanting "rich
internet apps" then you'll be needing DOM manipulation and effects
anyway.

My choice has, for the last 3 years, been jQuery. It's lightweight and
super
easy to use. jQuery is to JavaScript like ColdFusion is to server side
languages. It makes it fast, easy, and good.

The Learning jQuery 1.3 book comes highly recommended. I'd also suggest
you
jump on the official jQuery mailing list over at Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en

andy