The files were given to me as is and I was told they work fine on his
windows dev machine. The more I think about it, the more I'm wondering
if I don't have the files that are on the server, or his remake of it
(he said only the admin directory works currently, but on the site,
the non-admin files work).

I'm installing a virtural machine and seeing about eliminating all
possible issues with the server config.