Thanx Rick.

Let me refine the question a bit as to why I ask. I am still working this
out in my head.... thinking about the Pro's and Con's of each approach.

1. Putting it in a "global" scope like application or request.
or
2. Passing the function(s) in to the tag as a var

What  would or could happen if I put it into the request or application
scope? Would it bite in the buttocks later on? If so, how and why?

And if I passed it in to the tag as a var, does that offer any significant
advantages over having it it be a global var? I know having it in the
request or application scopes would break  encapsulation. But at the same
time does that really matter if it is just a handful of utility functions?
If so, why?

Thanx for helping me think this out.... Just trying to get smarter, better,
faster....  ;)

G!

> The easiest solution is to put the udf's into a scope that's visible
> from within the custom tag, so the request scope is probably the
> safest and easiest.
>
> <cfset request.functionName = functionName>
>

> --
> Rick Root
> CFFM - Open Source Coldfusion File Manager
> http://www.opensourcecf.com/cffm
>
> --
Gerald Guido
http://www.myinternetisbroken.com

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
-- Thomas A. Edison