Totally agree with Cameron on this.  One of the great benefits of version
control is that you can continue to monitor development changes while still
only pushing updates to production when the whole set of changes is ready
to go.  I may have a set of changes that takes several days to code, for
example, but I don't want to go home each night with today's work living
*only* on my hard drive, so I commit to SVN every day (or several times per
day).  That way, I get my backups and change history, but I can still
refrain from pushing to production until the new functionality is entirely
complete and tested.  That's one of the core benefits of version control,
IMHO.