On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Larry Lyons <larrycly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >There are currently three of us hosting a total of about 120 sites that
> use
> >CF5. (We have sites that don't use CF and I don't actually administer the
> CF
> >server except to add ODBC data sources and an occasional scheduled task.)
> It
> >just isn't practical for us to spend $8,000 every other year on a new
> >version of CF.
> >
> >Should we find it necessary to use new tech to satisfy our clients, our
> only
> >affordable option will be php. The thought of having to learn new code
> makes
> >me grumpy, hence the complaint.
> >
> >Dave
> >

> Does it really? If you're running those sites on CF 5, then moving them
> over to Open BlueDragon or Railo running on JBoss and Apache, makes a lot of
> sense for an upgrade. You get the massive speed increase, and you do not
> have to pay for cost of CF Enterprise. I don't think there is anything in
> CF5 that is not in either of the two OSS CF engines. Or rather if there are,
> then most likely its not in the current version of Adobe CF either.
>
> So in general you do have a good case for upgrading from a server that's
> almost 10 years old to something more recent.
>
> regards,
> larry

I won't argue moving sites isn't a pain!

Had to do a mass move once, it's a team effort and takes a few days at best
with other requests coming in if you only got a few people.

but

120 sites @ 10 bucks a month is $1,200.month, seems like you can afford
something newer, and this means you can in turn learn new tricks, there is
something still unique about using a new tag. And with cf5 wow, you have a
lot of tags to catch up on.

I'm sure before long you'd be using new tags before long. Think of it as
training expense --> cfml language studies