On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Ian Skinner <h...@ilsweb.com> wrote:

> But a 'doc' file type is a binary file type is it not?  In my experience
> you can't just write simple text to a with a doc extension and get
> anything useful.  I could see this working with an plain text (.txt) or
> rich text (.rtf) extension, but not a .doc extension.

you can test this easily.  Put a .txt file on your desktop with some
content in it, rename it to a .doc and open it.

It works just fine, at least in Word 2007 it does.  I could test Word
2000 at home..

Word does format detection to figure out what KIND of word doc it is.
It'll realize that his file is an RTF document, and it'll realize that
your plain text document (tested above) is a text document, and
display it just fine.

Same way you can write HTML tables to a file, save it with a .XLS
extension, and have it open in Excel.

Ri