In a unique situation here (well, hopefully not)...

I've been helping a friend get his company automated and we've developed a
damned fine management system that handles mostly everything internally.

I've been working full-time for him on a very reduced salary for the past year
due to being in a pinch after being laid off last year and also wanting to
finish this project we started several years ago but never had the chance to
spend the right amount of time on.

The system is built, but being on a shared server (there's not enough in the
budget to justify dedicated at the moment), there are occasional "kick the box"
support services they need me to be on-call for.

There will also be additions and upgrades.  I have a good idea on what to
charge for those.

But the on-call billing is throwing me for a loop.  I'm stuck between a fixed
amount and some usage-based amount.

Anyone run into something like this?  My friend was bought by a slightly larger
company so he's letting me be a little creative to make sure I'm fully
compensated.  I already have a "base" amount I receive per month for normal
tasks like database updates, slight changes that don't qualify as projects, etc.

The on-call would be on top of that and for the life of me I can't figure out
how to bill it.

Thanks in advance :)