maybe not (wrong)...

The ID that was generated is maintained in the server on a per-connection
basis. This means that the value returned by the function to a given client is
the first AUTO_INCREMENT value generated for most recent statement affecting an
AUTO_INCREMENT column by that client. This value cannot be affected by other
clients, even if they generate AUTO_INCREMENT values of their own. This
behavior ensures that each client can retrieve its own ID without concern for
the activity of other clients, and without the need for locks or transactions.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/information-functions.html#function_last-insert-id

> > I was under the impression that Last_Insert_ID() in MySQL was the
> equilavent of Scope_Identity() in MSSQL.....please correct me
> > if I'm wrong.
>
> You're wrong, I think. From the MySQL docs:
>
> "For LAST_INSERT_ID(), the most recently generated ID is maintained
> in
> the server on a per-connection basis."
>
> If two page requests are running simultaneously, they're not using
> the
> same connection.
>
> Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
> http://www.figleaf.com/
>
> Fig Leaf Software provides the highest caliber vendor-authorized
> instruction at our training centers in Washington DC, Atlanta,
> Chicago, Baltimore, Northern Virginia, or on-site at your location.
> Visit http://training.figleaf.com/ for more
information!