I have a friend who came to me a while ago with a site that wanted to change
hosts and have a new "look and feel".  He would handle the look and feel and
I'd take care of the backend.  Originally he wanted to rewrite from CF to
ASP, but I told him keep it CF and I can do it a lot faster and cheaper.
That sold him.  Unfortunately, his client pre-paid for 3 years of hosting at
Network Solutions and is insisting on using their Coldfusion hosting.  Even
though I used to work for a hosting company that has really good CF hosting,
cheaper than NSI, they're sold on the "reliability of the big boys".  Ugh -
fine.  Convert existing db from MySQL to Access, convert all SQL to be
compatible, test locally and it works like a charm.  Upload a test
Application.cfc and index.cfm file to NSI (it took NSI 7 days to add a DSN
for me....) and immediately get an error as follows:

The system has attempted to use an undefined value, which usually indicates
a programming error, either in your code or some system code.

Null Pointers are another name for undefined values.

I've trimmed the Application.cfc file down to just:

<cfcomponent>

<cfscript>

  this.name = "ihatenetworksolutions";

  this.applicationTimeout = createTimeSpan(1,0,0,0);

  this.sessionTimeout = createTimeSpan(0,0,20,0);

  this.sessionmanagement = "yes";

  this.setClientCookies = "yes";

  this.setDomainCookies = "no";

</cfscript>

  <cffunction name="onApplicationStart" returntype="boolean" output="false">

    <cfreturn this/>

  </cffunction>

  <cffunction name="onApplicationEnd" returntype="void" output="false">

   <cfargument name="applicationScope" required="true">

  </cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

If I don't upload an index.cfm file, I get a Directory Listing Denied error.
As soon as I upload an index.cfm file - even just a "hello world" one, I get
that null pointer error.

I'm assuming their NSI's support will be useless if it took them a week to
set a DSN.

Some googling on this error took me to several forums where there error is
there, but there seems to be a just a lot of ideas as to the cause (broke
JVM), and no real concrete solutions.