> Now I am reading up on using COM objects and there is the releaseComObject
> function that I can call to dump the resources of the object.  The
> documentation says I
> don’t have to use it that the garbage collection will eventually clean things
> up.

You probably will have to use that function, if you're using it from
CF. Using COM can be problematic under the best conditions, and CF
isn't the "best conditions' for COM.

> If the COM object is not killed and I have two people working on the website
> will their
> PDF’s collide?  One user will get their peanut butter in the other users
> chocolate and
> one will get their chocolate in the other users peanut butter (reeses cup
> reference for
> those youngsters)?

This depends on the threading model (if any) for the COM object, but
in the absence of that information I would assume the worst.

> If I can’t get the COM object to store as a session or application variable I
> will probably
> end up storing the created PDF name as a session variable and each function
> will go
> open that PDF and add the image, text etc then save the PDF back down.
> Probably a
> safer way of doing things.

You could also treat the COM object as a singleton, by locking access
to it so that only one request can use it at a time, and you don't
have overlapping requests performing multiple concurrent operations.
But in any case, you will almost certainly have to handle this
yourself, rather than relying on the good graces of the COM object in
question.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or o