Sorry, this is a bit OT, but we're using CF for the site, so thought I'd see
what other CF folks are doing about it.

We've got a very busy legacy home-grown forum that since late August 2009 or
so has been getting hit heavily by the Link-Building industry. Posting
requires membership, which requires a captcha to be entered, and a
confirmation email link to be clicked. Everyday, I search and invalidate
hundreds of link-building memberships (the ones I can find). Interestingly,
none of the links ever get posted -- we're using akismet, which does a
pretty good job of stopping these.

But, time is money, and hunting these suckers down (not to mention the ones
I don't find out of oh, 700+ new memberships a day), plus just their
presence in our database (more records == more processing time) is not a
good thing.

What are folks doing about this kind of abuse? And, can someone educate me
on why the link-builders keep creating accounts when it's obvious their
posts aren't getting published? I can tell from the data I'm seeing that
it's the same people/scripts day after day. I'm at a loss.

-KJ