I concur with Maureen, look at Google and Paypal. The key there is
that you send the user off to Google's site and the CC info is entered
there, not on your client's site, so you don't even have to worry
about SSL on the client site, let alone PCI compliance.

Years and years ago, I did do an implementation of a payment set up
where part of the CC was stored in our database and part of it was
sent to the client who stored it offline and then later they could
look up the part of the CC we stored unencrypted.  It was serviceable
and reasonably secure, if somewhat of a manually pain in the arse.
However, that was in the days before PCI compliance (or at least we
didn't know about it).

Credit card companies have really clamped down harder over the years
on these issues. Fraudulent transactions cost them money and tracking
all the stolen credit card numbers is a huge pain. If your clients say
they don't want to use Google Payments or Paypal and they don't want
to pay for an online merchant account and Authorize.net themselves,
then you need to make sure that they understand the real cost of that
decision.

If VISA finds that they are not complying with regulations they can
cut off all ability for that merchant to accept VISA payments, period,
not just online. Same with Mastercard. Ask your client what that would
do to their business and what risks they are willing to take.

And if the client persists in wanting to take credit cards insecurely
and you still want to work with them, make sure that your contact with
them is air tight and that you cannot be held liable for aiding them
in doing something you know to be against VISAs rules.

Cheers,
Judah