On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Eric Nicholas Sweeney
<n...@bigfatdesigns.com> wrote:
> To me, recommending a service is like answering the question "How do you
> hammer a nail?" with the answer being "Hire a contractor."

In this case, the answer is "hire a lawyer" because you will be
dragged in to any court case involved in the purposeful or accidental
disclosure of credit card information.

That being said, if I wanted to do this securely, I would probably
break the credit card number up into two parts. One part I would store
in the database using database encryption. The other part I would
encrypt using a public/private key system, then transfer that
encrypted part to the client, have the client decrypt it with their
private key and then provide a lookup facility for the part stored on
the server in the encrypted database.

But, honestly, how many clients will have the money to pay to you do a
system like that but not be willing to pay for a merchant account?

Judah