Before having a chance to run with ProcMon, I reinstalled CF9
tested the bat file without success, decided to change the
logon account setting to "Interact with Desktop" (or whatever it says),
as I remember having an issue with that...but I think that was when I was
trying to use a third party FTP program instead of cfftp to download files.

I did see something on the sitepoint.com forums about port conflicts
between CF9 and CFB, but I'm not using CFB...and I couldn't find any port
settings in the jvm.config file which the author in the forum said he
modified
to resolve the conflict.  (I couldn't even *find* the jvm.config file...)

I did check the cf server log and notice a null reference error.  The only
thing
I'm doing differently with the installation (since I started this past
weekend
with the install of CF9) is to use a .car file to import my settings form
CF8.

I did notice in the server log a reference to the .car file deployment, so
I'm
reinstalling CF9 without using the .car file to see if that keeps CF9
running.