On 10/03/2010 14:19, Michael Dinowitz wrote:

> Dave,
>
> So if your right then a thousand iteration loop with each iteration
> doing a cfinvoke will cause the template request to keep growing in
> memory usage. There is no resource re-usage in the request.

there is a good reference to the effects of this, apparent memory leaks
here:
http://www.schierberl.com/cfblog/index.cfm/2006/10/16/memoryLeak_variablesScope

> This also means that the statement "after a method is invoked using
> cfinvoke, the component instance is destroyed" is not 100% true. It is
> destroyed, but nothing is gained by the destruction. I was always
> under the impression that using cfinvoke was 'less costly' than
> creating a variable to contain a component instance. :(

it is only if you copy the result somewhere that you get the reference
that gets saved. YOu can "unsave" it by rewriting the variable the
reference is in.

>> It's highly unlikely that GC will happen during a specific single page
>> request in such a way to delete component instances created and marked
>> within that same request. So, I'd expect that each invocation within
>> the request will end up allocating its own memory, and that memory
>> won't be reused until sometime after the page request has completed.

correct.

--

Yours,

Kym Kovan