> What do I need to know about upgrading from CF8 to CF9 on a Solaris 10
> server?  Do I dare to try some type of upgrade path?  Much of what I
> have read on the 'internets' say that archive, uninstall, install clean,
> and restore archive is a more recommended path.  Do the members of
> CF-Talk agree with this?

There is no upgrade path for multi-server. There is only uninstall and
reinstall, if you want to replace one multi-server version with
another.

> If so, how does one go about uninstalling CF8 from a Solaris 10 machine,
> I've never done that before.  I see the following instructions in the
> documentation:
>
> Uninstall ColdFusion from UNIX
>
>    1. Log in as root.
>
>    2. Enter the following command to go to the cf_webapp_root/uninstall
> directory:
>       cd cf_webapp_root/uninstall
>
>    3. Enter the following command:
>       ./uninstall.sh
>
>    4. When the program completes, remove any remaining files and
> directories in the cf_webapp_root directory.
>
> Does the "cf_webapp_root" indicate I need to do this once for each
> ColdFusion instance|server in the JRun directory?  If so, what does this
> do with the JRun - if anything?  Does JRun need to be uninstalled
> separately or not at all?

Fortunately, there isn't much that can go wrong uninstalling. Just
follow those instructions, and this will uninstall JRun along with
your CF instances. If you have /CFIDE files in your web root, you can
go ahead and delete those as well manually. Since you're using Apache,
you can simply edit httpd.conf to remove the connection between Apache
and CF if the uninstaller doesn't do that for you (and if you're using
multiple Apache virtual hosts, you'll almost certainly end up editing
this manually anyway).

> Am I looking at this completely wrong, do I install CF9 just as new
> sever(s) under my existing JRun?  Is CF9 expecting to use an upgraded
> JVM then came with the original CF8?  If it wants new can I upgrade the
> JVM without bothering the CF8 servers and then install new CF9 server.

You could install a CF9 EAR into your existing CF8/JRun install, but
CF9 does use a newer JVM, which you'd need to set up separately if you
took this approach. Upgrading your JVM will, by default, bother your
CF8 servers, since by default all JRun instances use the same JVM. You
can, of course, change that, but I think the simplest approach is just
to uninstall the whole thing. Make sure you save whatever settings you
want to preserve by creating a CAR file before uninstalling.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training cente