If my client was my main marketing tool...you better believe I would.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Watts [mailto:dwa...@figleaf.com]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 5:16 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: ColdFusion Builder Released!

> Have you ever felt indignant, Dave?  This discussion is not *just* about
> being rational. It has to do with personal, subjective perspective.
> Opinions...
> You can't put values on feelings of indignation in order to quantify them.

No, and I can't very well use them to justify an argument, either.
You're free to feel as indignant as you like, just as I'm free to tell
you your feelings are misguided.

> You better believe it's less costly!  If I had to develop a language
> and a server to process it, I would charge a lot more.  Wouldn't you?

I think you missed my point. Over your life as a CF developer, have
you charged more for your work than the cost of CF itself? Because,
clearly, the sum total of your work is worth less than the sum total
you've paid for CF, according to your logic. So, let's say you've
spent $20k on CF over the years - I know you went a long time without
upgrading. You haven't charged more than $20k over that for your own
work, then, right?

My point, in case it's still not clear, is that the value of software
has little or no relation to the amount of work needed to create it.
The custom software you and I build in CF provides a specific value to
our clients, because it meets a need that is otherwise unmet.
Likewise, the software that you and I buy to build that software
provides a specific value to us.

> And, again, Adobe is free to charge whatever they like, but it would be
> nice to feel like Adobe wanted to help it's community thrive by
contributing
> to its success without always charging so much to enable that success.

Adobe is a for-profit company. They build software for sale, just like
you do. Do you discount your rate to contribute to the success of your
clients? If not, why do you expect others to?

Buy the software, don't buy it, I don't care. But don't make your
decision based on poor reasoning, because that's not in your best
interest. There are smart reasons why you might not buy CF Builder,
but "it's not as lovingly hand-crafted as Dreamweaver" isn't one of
them.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsi