On 4/14/2010 8:39 PM, Doug Ford wrote:

> Hi Folks -
>
> I am wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get the results I am
> looking for.
>
> Here's the background -
>
> I am dealing with dynamic environment allowing losers, I mean users, to enter
> in field names.  This is a business product so anything is possible.
>
> When a user of the product creates the columns, they have no knowledge of
> coldfusion or sql, so if a person enters in "VIN #" as a piece of information
> they wish to capture, "VIN #" becomes a column header.
>
> Now then, on any given random form my system would be creating, I won't know
> how many fields or their names.
>
> If a person creates 5 or 500 fields, I have no clue, and I won't know what
> column names they could ultimately create.
>
> I have been toying with getColumnList() to display the column titles, but how
> would I get the actual data out of it?
>
> I have tried using evaluate on the field names, but when it comes across VIN
> #, the system blows up.
>
> Any and info is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

  Consider abstracting the database schema. Hold the column names in a
table with an ordinal key. Store the column contents in another table
with a foreign key back to the columns. Never trust user input.
  That is how I would start to break it down.
--
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/8/a4/60
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/RogerTheGeek