From: Brian Thornton [mailto:vegasthorn...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:21 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Dynamic SQL Column Names

Or go runa  query on the table with 1 record using a select * and loop
through the columnlist returned.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Doug Ford <doug.e.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks -
>
> I am wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get the results I am
looking for.

> Here's the background -
>
> I am dealing with dynamic environment allowing losers, I mean users, to
enter in field names.  This is a business product so anything is possible.

> When a user of the product creates the columns, they have no knowledge of
coldfusion or sql, so if a person enters in "VIN #" as a piece of
information they wish to capture, "VIN #" becomes a column header.

> Now then, on any given random form my system would be creating, I won't
know how many fields or their names.

> If a person creates 5 or 500 fields, I have no clue, and I won't know what
column names they could ultimately create.

> I have been toying with getColumnList() to display the column titles, but
how would I get the actual data out of it?

> I have tried using evaluate on the field names, but when it comes across
VIN #, the system blows up.