> No, that's not the outcome desired, of course. I want the download window to
> pop up and then when the accept the download, they are redirected.

OK, if the user's clicking a link to get to this download in the first
place, you can probably do this pretty simply with an HTML page
containing an iframe with the link to the download. Put an onclick
handler on the link to cause the page to redirect.

> Maybe I can get close wrapping the cfdocument tag in a cfthread?

No, CFTHREAD won't help you here, as it only lets you handle
concurrency on the server, not in the browser.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.